📗 Single sentence summary
A framework to help brands and businesses grow their tribe from scratch utilising methods and tactics to transition audience members up the “Pyramid of Fandom” which culminates with Superfans.
💬 The killer quote
“Fans are important, but Superfans are everything.”
🙋 Recommended for
Entrepreneurs and marketers attempting to build a loyal community or cult brand for their business.
Caveat: These are my own notes and may exclude information that is either less relevant or already known to me.
The Pyramid of Fandom
- The path to becoming a Superfan is explained by this reverse funnel.
From bottom to top:
- Casual fans: These people have found you via a recommendation, a link or mention on another website, a search result, a related video, etc.
- Active audience: People who have chosen to follow you in some way by joining your email list, subscribing to your podcast, bookmarking your website, etc.
- Connected community: A segment of fans/followers you are able to communicate regularly and easily with, helping you seed and validate new ideas to grow your business.
- Superfan: Your true fans.
“[Superfans] will drive two hundred miles to see you sing. They will buy the super deluxe re-issued hi-res box set of your stuff even though they have the low-res version. They have a Google Alert set for your name. They bookmark the eBay page where your out-of-print editions show up. They come to your openings. They have you sign their copies. They buy the t-shirt, and the mug, and the hat. They can’t wait till you issue your next work.” Kevin Kelly
From Casual to Active
Tactics for taking your audience from Casual to Active.
- Speak your audience’s language. On first contact, it is…